Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gorgons

The Dictionary of Mythology by J. A. Coleman (Arcturus Publishing, 2007) describes a gorgon as:



Gorgons

3 snake-haired, winged female monsters

A glance from these monsters [...] could turn a man to stone. Their names were Euryale, Medusa, and Stheno and only Medusa was mortal.

They lived in Cisthene and were depicted as having snakes for hair, tusks like a boar, hands of brass and the hindquarters of a mare.



Of course, over time that was weeded down to being snakes for hair and eyes that would petrify you where you stood. Needless to say, I've never read a paranormal romance containing one of these creatures, though it would be interesting, don't you think? Gorgons appear in Library by Apollodorus and in Metamorphoses by Ovid.


Resources:


-The Wikipedia Page

-Medousa and Gorgones

-Gorgons in Literature


Cherish D'Angelo will kick off October as she talks about her new release! Hope to see you there.


Clara.

 

1 comment:

  1. Superb article that gave me real tracks for my items to me. I will test starting next article. To say I even put the page in Favorites.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete