Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review: On The Steps by Jeffrey Harris

Earlier this week, I was contacted by author Jeffrey Harris and asked to review his book. I won't lie to you—at first, I wondered how it qualified as paranormal. There are no vampires, no werewolves or witches—not even a wiccan! However, as I read through it, I realized that it had something much more relatable.

A ghost. The touch of a loved one passed away. As Harris told me, it is a "hidden" theme.

It begins with a scene from the past, as Michael Albright asks the love of his life Kristen to marry him. However, as the story jumps to the present, we realize that Kristen has recently passed away from cancer. Michael and his son Hunter are led down an unstable path as they try to cope, one which is covertly guided by the deceased Kristen. They both eventually meet heartbroken Brittany Chambers. This is a book as much about recovery as it is about love, and Michael undergoes a huge transformation as he learns to live without his beloved wife.

As far as heat ratings go, this one would qualify as a "sweet" read. I would as soon lend it to my grandmother as I would to a good friend. The theme within is universal, and more than that, the paranormal theme is subtle.

I'm sure you've all had that moment where you tell somebody that what you're reading or writing qualifies as paranormal romance, and they give you a disdainful look or comment. I know I have. They automatically assume the book is an R-rated version of Twilight, and not worth reading.

This book may help to diminish those sorts of thoughts. It's a stepping stone, if you will, between normal, bland romance, and the spicy exotic stuff we like to read. With a few more books like this one, those lingering critics who turn up their noses at our genre will become a thing of the past.

But hey, don't take my word for it. If you're wondering what the book is like, take a glance at the first chapter for free, located on Jeffrey Harris's site.

And keep your eye out next week: Gina Gordon will be guest blogging!

Clara.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations for your site! Really, it's great and as I saw in the first posts it's true that sharing and site interface are really a boon to work style. Really a big thank you!

    voyance par mail gratuit

    ReplyDelete